Going Green Blog Background

Friday 26 January 2018

Even "professional" cake decorators can have a bad day .....

... and muck up a cake completely even using a cake mix!  (This is the worst cake I have ever produced!)

Fortunately this was only for my daughter!   


I made the cake in two sandwich tins - but unfortunately one managed to disintegrate as it was cooling (due to being very moist and the way I had stacked it!)  I didn't discover this until my granddaughter came round with the chocolate icing for it.  I was originally going to suggest she iced it for her mum until we discovered the disaster!     OK I thought I would have to make another cake (not good as I hate chocolate cake so wouldn't have eaten it myself).  However, granddaughter said "oh just stick it together Nanny and put that layer on the bottom - it won't notice when it is on the board!"

Erm hadn't planned on putting it on a board - was just going to put it on a plate!   So quick hunt and found a board albeit square!

As you can see it wasn't quite so easy to rectify the shambles.  I had lost enthusiasm for doing it by the time I had managed to get the icing on it - so it was just a case of use what was in the cupboard to decorate it.   

Oh well it is only a family cake, and it is the thought that counts, and the taste, rather than the look!  - knew I should have let my granddaughter do it - but she is up to her eyes in exam revision and really didn't have time to do it.   I shall also know if ever I use this gluten free cake mix that it is very, very moist and difficult to ice!    (Actually it was really a "bad cake day" as I also made some gluten free brownies - which I thought tasted foul and were very dry - the complete opposite to the cake, and were also a ready mix from same brand - a brand I have used before and never had problems - ah well that's life)!

At least I am brave enough to post my disasters!

No comments: